- All-American Celebration at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. Free admission to the botanical garden? Yes, please. On Thursday, July 4, you’ll get in free all day, and there are extras, too, from 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. Happy Lucky Combo will perform in the Children’s Garden, you can use the Garden’s supplies to decorate your wagons and strollers for the parade, take advantage of WaterPlay, & more.
- A free Old-Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration will take place from 1:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 4, at Meadow Farm Museum at Crump Park. The activities include live music, arts and crafts, face painting, a petting zoo for children, a watermelon feast, Uncle Sam on stilts, a Star-Spangled Splash Zone, a Sand Sculpture exhibition, & more. Both the Meadow Farm Museum and the Orientation Center exhibits will be open for visitation.
- A Fourth of July Celebration & Parade will take place in Ashland. The nonmotorized parade, featuring bicycles, basset hounds, a lawn chair brigade, & more, steps off at 11:00 a.m. and follows Hanover Avenue toward the Center, located at 500 S. Center St., Ashland. After the parade, stick around for a patriotic concert with the Hanover Concert Band at noon, children’s games, an Apple Pie Contest, a Patriotic Pets costume contest, & more.
- 29th Annual Celebrate Freedom Independence Day Concert. Wednesday, July 3. The concert, featuring Heritage of America Band, begins at 6:30 p.m. at Genworth Financial’s World Headquarters, located at 6620 West Broad Street, Richmond, and the fireworks display will begin immediately following the concert. There’ll also be face painting, balloons, giveaways, & more, as well as free parking.
- Racing to the Stars n’ Stripes at Colonial Downs. Thursday, July 4. Horse racing starts at 5:00 p.m., followed by live music and fireworks, free ice cream, & more. Admission is $5; kids 12 & under admitted free.
- RVA Fireworks On The James. Wednesday, July 3. Brown’s Island. Entertainment starts at 7:30 p.m. and includes performances by SPARC (School of Performing Arts in the Richmond Community), the Richmond Youth Symphony Orchestra and the Richmond Ballet’s “Minds in Motion.” The fireworks display should begin at approximately 9:15 p.m. Rain date: July 5.
- There’ll be Fireworks at The Diamond following the July 4, 5, & 6 games vs. the Aero. Don’t want to go to the game? You can see the fireworks displays from the streets of Northside. Or you can watch them while celebrating Brewdependence Day at Hardywood, featuring live music by My Old Ways, Andrew Leahey, Long Arms, Goldrush, & Zep Replica, & more.
- Fireworks at Dogwood Dell. Thursday, July 4. This was my mother’s 4th of July celebration of choice when I was little, and the girls & I will be there this year. The free entertainment begins at with a performance by Simply Kevin B at 5:30 p.m., a Carillon Bell concert at 7:00 p.m., and the Richmond Concert Band performance at 7:30 p.m. And, and of course, a fireworks displays caps off the evening. (I’ve been spoiled forever, as no fireworks display feels “right” to me without the 1812 Overture + the Carillon bells).
- Fourth at the Fort. Thursday, July 4. Williams Stadium at Fort Lee. The festivities begin at 8:30 p.m., and there’ll be fireworks as well as live entertainment featuring the 392nd Army Rock Band. Admission & parking are free. FYI–be ready to show a driver’s license, vehicle registration & proof of insurance to access Fort Lee. All adult passengers in the vehicle should be prepared to show ID.
- The Colonial Heights fireworks display. Thursday, July 4. Fireworks will begin at approximately 9:15 p.m. in the vicinity of Charles Dimmock Parkway. Viewing will be off I-95, exits 53 or 54, in the Southgate Square/Wal-Mart area. Rain date: July 5.
- Chesterfield County’s Fourth of July Celebration. Thursday, July 4. Chesterfield County Fairgrounds. Doors open at 5:00 p.m. There’ll be live music featuring the Kings of Swing, kids’ activities, & more. The fireworks display will begin at dark. FYI–roads leading to the fairgrounds will close at either 9:00 p.m. or whenever parking lots are full.
- Goochland County Fireworks. Thursday, July 4. Goochland County Sports Complex. Fireworks start at 9:00 p.m.
- Fireworks at Kings Dominion. During Dominion at Dusk, which runs through August 11, fireworks start at 9:30 p.m. Bonus: July 4 & 5 are Military Days, all active, inactive and retired military personnel with ID can get one free admission, and there’s a $17.50 all-you-can-eat Armed Forces Meal Deal from noon-3:00 p.m. both days. And you can check the most recent Kings Dominion deals round-up for more ways to save.
- IllumiNights at Busch Gardens. During IllumiNights, which runs nightly through August 11, fireworks begin at 9:30 p.m. Check the most recent Busch Gardens deals round-up to get discount tickets to the park.
Not a subscriber? Be sure to subscribe to email updates, follow @rvacheap on Twitter, like RVA (Richmond) on the Cheap on Facebook, or add us to a Google+ circle to stay in the know about the latest freebies & deals.