September festivals in Richmond, Virginia continue to take advantage of the warm, mild weather. Congregating in a festive way give us a chance to get to know another culture, eat delicious food, hear live music and see our fellow Richmond residents in all their diversity. Many take place at urban intersections, parks, rivers, farms, church yards, hunt clubs and breweries to take in the sights and enjoy the balmy, and sometimes steamy, weather. 2020 is an unusual year with many festivals cancelled or postponed. That listing is at the bottom of the post.
September 2020 Richmond area festivals
(Check back for updates as other festivals and events are announced.)
• September 25-October 31, 2020 – The Pumpkin Patch at Gallmeyer Farms, (4506 Millers Lane Richmond, VA 23231) to celebrate the harvest.
Earlier in the month we enjoyed:
•September 8-13, 2020 – Richmond International Film Festival
•September 12, 2020 – Maymont Big Tent Festival
•Afrikana Independent Film Festival is an independent film festival that showcases cinematic works from emerging and established filmmakers throughout the African diaspora.
CANCELLED OR POSTPONED:
Virginia State Fair, Doswell, Virginia – The State Fair of Virginia is a multi-day event at the beautiful rural setting of The Meadow Event Park, which opened in 2009. You can enjoy rides, pet animals, see amazing shows, play games, see a concert or enjoy delicious food. With different events happening every day, no two visits are ever the same. POSTPONED UNTIL 2021
• Armenian Food Festival, (834 Pepper Ave, Richmond, VA 23226) St. James Armenian Church’s annual Armenian Food Festival is one of Richmond’s oldest cultural festivals. Delicious food, wine and beer, Armenian music, and dancers. Gift shop of items straight from Armenia. Tour the beautiful church and learn more about the Armenian Orthodox religion. POSTPONED UNTIL 2021
•Alexander Paley Music Festival – POSTPONED UNTIL AT LEAST JANUARY 2021
•Pridefest – CANCELLED
•43rd Street Festival of the Arts – CANCELLED
• Richmond Veg Fest Byrd Park The main objective of this event is to educate the public on the many healthful and humane aspects of a vegan lifestyle.
•TBD – Hispanic Parade and Festival, Hispanic American School for Advancement HASA,brings the community together as part of celebrating Latino Heritage month. Entertainment, games, live music and food. Broad Rock Park. TBD
• Field Day of the Past – (1741 Ashland Rd. Goochland, 23146) Family fun, truck pulls, tractor pulls, historic buildings re-enactments, arts and crafts, carnival rides and games, antique vehicles, small engines, much more. CANCELLED
• St. Benedict Oktoberfest Hanover & Belmont, Museum District, Richmond, Virginia 23221- A German-themed celebration allows attendees the opportunity to enjoy German music, dancing, food, and their beverage of choice. All proceeds from Oktoberfest are used to support Catholic education at the Catholic Schools historically associated with Saint Benedict Parish. Check out our website for more information, including music schedule, events and more. http://stbenedictoktoberfest.com/ CANCELLED
•The Nottoway Indian Tribe of Virginia Annual Pow Wow in Surry,Va – POSTPONED UNTIL 2021
•TBD – Heritage Harvest Festival at Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello, Charlottesville, VA.
TBD – Richmond Dog Festival – Chimborazo Park, Richmond
TBD – Festival of India at the Greater Richmond Convention Center, 403 N. 3rd St. Richmond, At the Festival of India, one can enjoy a renowned cultural program, consisting of classical and modern Indian live performances, as well as East-West fusion dance and music. One can also sample many different varieties of Indian cuisine, including vegetarian and non-vegetarian delicacies, such as dosa, kachori, samosas, tandoori chicken and sweets, all of which are supplied by local Indian restaurants and families, and prepared fresh in front of patrons.
More things to do in and around Richmond:
- Richmond’s Museums Highlight History, Art, Science and More
- The Ultimate List of RVA Parks and Playgrounds
- Richmond’s Public Pools & Splash Pads
- RVA Dog-Friendly Parks
- 12+ Free Things to do in Colonial Williamsburg
- RVA Historic Sites
- Free Art Galleries in RVA
- RVA’s Nearby Ski Resorts
- 50+ Things to Do in Richmond
- Orchards and Berry Farms
- Things to Do: RVA
- 50+ Events & Festivals
- Special Resources
- Military Discounts
- FREE for Kids (or really cheap)
- Garage, Moving, Estate Sales and more
- Metro Richmond Zoo
- Richmond boat launches and marinas
- Fairs in RVA and Virginia
- Richmond Museums: Some Admission Free
- Discount Tickets: D.C. & NoVA Shows & Events