The Smithsonian, the world’s largest museum complex and research organization composed of 19 museums, nine research centers, and the National Zoo located in the nation’s capital, recently issued a reopening update with at least five museums open already this month. Three more Smithsonian museums are scheduled to open later in May. See the schedule and links below.
In May, the Smithsonian will reopen seven museums in Washington D.C. and the National Zoo in the following order:
•Wednesday, May 5:
Smithsonian Institution‘s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia
•Friday, May 14:
•Friday, May 21:
Visitors to the Smithsonian will need to reserve free timed-entry passes. Full reopening information at si.edu/visit. Passes are currently available for the Udvar-Hazy Center. Passes for other locations will be available one week before their scheduled openings. Some sites will have reduced hours. They all will have added health and safety measures, including limiting the number of people in the spaces, social distancing, face coverings, enhanced cleaning and hand-sanitizing stations. Visitors who are sick or feel unwell are asked to stay home.
The outdoor Smithsonian Gardens have reopened. All other museums will remain closed.
- The Ultimate List of RVA Parks and Playgrounds
- Ice skating and roller skating rinks in Richmond
- Richmond nearby ski resorts
- FREE and cheap date ideas in Richmond, Virginia
- Outdoor labyrinth walks in Richmond offer contemplation, movement
- Richmond area scenic drives
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails for all levels in the Richmond area