This summer, Richmond VA Parks and Recreation will host food distribution at 21 recreation and community centers around the city. Starting on Tuesday, July 7, 2020 Richmond Public Schools will continue meal distribution the same way, but with a few location changes so be sure to check out both flyers below.
If you have ever considered volunteering with RPS, there is no better time than now! Visit: www.handsonrva.org/rps to sign up for an open position for this week.
Henrico County Public Schools’ “grab-and-go” meals distribution service will move to a summer schedule Monday, as will its mobile technology hubs and an information hotline designed to help families during HCPS’ closure for the coronavirus pandemic.
In an effort to increase efficiency and anticipate the needs of families, the grab-and-go service will shift some locations and reduce the number of sites from 15 to 14. The service will operate during the summer from Monday through Thursday, in accordance with HCPS’ traditional summer schedule.
In addition to the daily breakfasts and lunches, on Thursdays, students, parents and guardians can also pick up meals for Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Distribution is on a first-come, first-served basis. Food distribution is open to all students, regardless of what school they attend, as well as others age 18 and under.
Henrico County Public Schools Summer meals distribution (beginning June 15)
Hours: Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m.-noon
NOTE: HCPS facilities will be closed Thursday, July 2 for employees to observe Independence Day and closed Friday in accordance with our summer schedule. Students who take part in our summer meals service should plan to come Wednesday, July 1 and pick up additional meals for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- Brookland Middle School, 9200 Lydell Drive, Henrico, Va. 23228
- Fairfield Middle School, 5121 Nine Mile Road, Henrico, Va. 23223
- Harvie Elementary School, 3401 Harvie Road, Henrico, Va. 23223
- Hermitage High School, 8301 Hungary Spring Road, Henrico, Va. 23228
- Highland Springs Elementary School, 600 Pleasant St., Highland Springs, Va. 23075
- Lakeside Elementary School, 6700 Cedar Croft St., Henrico, Va. 23228
- Longan Elementary School, 9200 Mapleview Ave., Henrico, Va. 23294
- Montrose Elementary School, 2820 Williamsburg Road, Henrico, Va. 23231
- Quioccasin Middle School, 9400 Quioccasin Road, Henrico, Va. 23238
- Ridge Elementary School, 8910 Three Chopt Road, Henrico, Va. 23229
- Sandston Elementary School, 7 Naglee Ave., Sandston, Va. 23150
- Varina High School, 7053 Messer Road, Henrico, Va. 23231
- Ward Elementary School, 3400 Darbytown Road, Henrico, Va. 23231
- L. Douglas Wilder Middle School, 6900 Wilkinson Road, Henrico, Va. 23227
Many students depend on school meals as a crucial part of daily nutrition. Since launching the distribution service in March to address family nutrition needs during the closure, HCPS’ School Nutrition Services Department has packaged and distributed around 400,000 breakfasts and lunches. For more information about summer nutrition, contact Dana K. Whitney, director of HCPS’ Department of Nutrition Services, at 804-226-5555.
CHESTERFIELD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS WILL SERVE FIVE DAYS’ MEALS, BUT ON TUESDAY, JULY 7, WE WILL SERVE TWO DAYS’ MEALS. MEAL DISTRIBUTIONS WILL RESUME REGULAR SERVING DAYS THURSDAY, JULY 9. UPDATE FOR MEAL DISTRIBUTION SITES JULY 1, 2020 THROUGH AUGUST 31, 2020: DUE TO THE USDA NOT EXTENDING THE WAIVER PAST JUNE 30, 2020, SNACK AND SUPPER WILL NO LONGER BE SERVED BEGINNING JULY 1.
To meet the needs of children during COVID-19 school closures, Chesterfield County Public Schools continue to provide meals for children for pick-up without charge and regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability and without discrimination. Meals will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis at the sites and times listed below.
Please note these important updates to the distribution of meals:
- Children do not have to be present to pick up meals. To pick up meals without a child present, please tell the staff member your child’s first and last names and age.
- On Monday, three days of meals will be provided; On Thursday, four days of meals will be provided for each child.
- No meal service is available on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday.
See the link to the Chesterfield County Public Schools webpage for details about distribution locations.
Hanover County Public Schools is consolidating student meal service to two locations during the summer—John M. Gandy Elementary School and Mechanicsville Elementary School—beginning Monday, June 15.
Grab-and-go breakfasts and lunches will be served curbside on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, 11 a.m. until 1 p.m., to all children 18 years of age or younger on a first-come, first-served basis. Staff will serve twice the number of meals on Tuesdays and Thursdays to ensure students have nutrition five days per week. Children do not need to be present to receive meals.
WHEN: Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, 11 a.m.—1 p.m., while supplies last.
WHERE: John M. Gandy Elementary School, 201 Archie Cannon Dr. Ashland, VA 23005 – and – Mechanicsville Elementary School, 7425 Mechanicsville Elementary Dr., Mechanicsville, VA 23111
More things to do in and around Richmond:
- Richmond’s Museums Highlight History, Art, Science and More
- Richmond-area summer camps open for enrollment
- The Ultimate List of RVA Parks and Playgrounds
- Bicycling routes around Richmond
- Richmond MetroZoo open for drive thru tours
- Richmond’s Public Pools & Splash Pads
- RVA Dog-Friendly Parks
- 12+ Free Things to do in Colonial Williamsburg
- RVA Historic Sites
- RVA’s Nearby Ski Resorts
- 50+ Things to Do in Richmond
- Orchards and Berry Farms
- Things to Do: RVA
- 50+ Events & Festivals
- Special Resources
- Military Discounts
- FREE for Kids (or really cheap)
- Garage, Moving, Estate Sales and more
- Metro Richmond Zoo
- Richmond boat launches and marinas