“I love to pay taxes” – said NO ONE EVER!
Virginia is celebrating Free Tax Day again this year.
August 4-6, 2017 (clothing, school supplies and energy star products).
In the past, Virginia offered separate sales tax holidays for back-to-school shopping, hurricane-preparedness, and Energy Star products. For the first time, the events will be combined into one tax-free weekend so you can get more tax-free shopping done at one time.
When is it?
August 4-6, 2017. The 3-day sales tax holiday starts the first Friday in August at 12:01 am and ends the following Sunday at 11:59 pm.
What is it?
During the sales tax holiday, you can buy qualifying school supplies, clothing, footwear, hurricane and emergency preparedness items, and Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products without paying sales tax.
What items are eligible?
- School supplies, clothing, and footwear
- Qualified school supplies – $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear – $100 or less per item
- Hurricane and emergency preparedness products
- Portable generators – $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws – $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories – $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items – $60 or less per item
- Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products
- Qualifying Energy Star™ or WaterSense™ products purchased for noncommercial home or personal use – $2,500 or less per item
Detailed lists of qualifying items and more information for retailers can be found in the 2017 Sales Tax Holiday Guidelines. Plan your shopping now and make a list to save as much as possible on tax-free day in Virginia.