Theatergoers everywhere, rejoice! Richmond will be once again filled with live musicals, plays, concerts and more. Venues will vary in regard to regulations and precautions; please follow sites closely before purchasing tickets. Richmond on the Cheap provides the guide below to aid in deciding what venue is appropriate for you.
FILL YOUR CALENDAR WITH PERFORMANCES AROUND RICHMOND THIS SEASON:
1. Broadway in Richmond: With shows for the whole family, like Lion King and Anastasia, this season truly offers something for everyone. There are ways to save on tickets, including subscriptions, volunteering at the Altria Theater and going to shows on a weekday versus the weekend.
2. The Cultural Arts Center Glen Allen: offers music from the Richmond Symphony, outdoor concerts, a holiday performance: A Charlie Brown Christmas. $40 is the highest cost ticket at The Center, making this venue quite affordable.
3. Latin Ballet of Virginia: will provide dance enthusiasts a variety of ways to watch performances, some live, some in-person. On Saturday, October 2, there will be an outdoor performance at Pocahontas State Park. This event is only $10 for parking, and there is no fee for admission beyond that. The Latin Ballet of Virginia also has shows scheduled at The Cultural Arts Center Glen Allen, and the Chrysler Museum of Art in Norfolk.
4. Swift Creek Mill Theatre: has 4 upcoming performances for adults, and one for youth this season. The first show, “I love you, you’re perfect, now change” begins on September 11. Tickets for that show begin at $49. For children, “Drifty’s Picture-Perfect Holiday” begins in December. Tickets for this holiday show begin at $14.
5. Richmond Symphony: provides those of us who love music several opportunities to enjoy the symphony again! From “The Lollipops Series” aimed at young children to Cello Virtuosity and even performances at Hardywood Brewery, everyone can find a way to enjoy!
6. Virginia Repertory Theater: offers a 25% discount to season subscription holders. Currently, one must provide a vaccine card or a negative COVID-19 test (48 hours or less prior) for entry to shows. This season’s shows include: Ella and Her Fella Frank, and the classic, It’s a Wonderful Life .
From music, to dance, Broadway to casual, there is a performance venue in RVA for everyone!
— By Lindsay Garrison
Richmond on the Cheap contributor Lindsay Garrison is a Richmond, Virginia based mom to two young children. A graduate from Chesterfield Schools and Randolph-Macon College, Lindsay is proud to call Richmond home. In the years prior to planning activities and outings with her own children, she was a French teacher. During her tenure she earned accolades for her creative teaching style and ability to connect with her students. Lindsay now applies the skills she learned when she was planning student trips to France, to her own family adventures. She can’t wait to take her own children to France one day! Follow the Garrison’s family adventures on Instagram: @thegarrisonsrva
- Richmond’s Farmers Markets
- Guide to Family Friendly Beaches
- Summer Learning Programs in RVA
- The Ultimate List of RVA Parks and Playgrounds
- Ice skating and roller skating rinks in Richmond
- FREE and cheap date ideas in Richmond, Virginia
- Richmond area summer camp registrations are open
- Pick-Your-Own Orchards and Farms in the Richmond area
- Richmond Area Farms Offer Families Opportunities to See, Learn about Animals