If you haven’t been to Carter Mountain for apple picking, you don’t know what you’re missing! It’s a festival every day on the mountain and it’s just a short drive up I-64 towards Charlottesville. They are open daily 9am – 6pm. Timed tickets required for entry as well as driving tours. Food, apples, and more are available for purchase.
The fresh air and beautiful mountain scenery from atop Carter Mountain is a lovely escape from the city. They are open 7 days a week for apple picking, or you can grab apples already picked. Visit the country store or head by the bakery. You’ll also find plenty of pumpkins in all shapes and sizes. There are plenty of activities every weekend during Apple Harvest Celebration including:
- Pick Your Own Apples (the orchards are massive and fun!)
- Hayrides, occasionally
- Lunch from the Mountain Grill
- Wine Tastings
- Apple Pie
- Famous Apple Cider Donuts
- Fresh-pressed Cider
Read the options on Carter Mountain’s website carefully. Planning ahead will make for the best apple season experience. Carter Mountain is located at 1435 Carters Mountain Trail, Charlottesville, VA 22902, tel: 434.977.1833
More apple orchards located a drive from Richmond:
•Graves Mountain, 205 Graves Mountain Ln Syria, VA 22743 – The Apple Harvest Festival is held the first 3 weekends in October.
You can explore more pick your own farms around the Richmond area from this useful website.
Be sure to subscribe to email updates, follow @rvacheap on Twitter or like RVA (Richmond) on the Cheap on Facebook to stay in the know about the latest freebies & deals.
- More things to do in and around Richmond:
- RVA Dog-Friendly Parks
- Visit Richmond MetroZoo
- Richmond area scenic drives
- Richmond area farmers markets
- Spotlight on Richmond apple cideries
- Richmond boat launches and marinas
- The Ultimate List of RVA Parks and Playgrounds
- Pumpkin patches, corn mazes and fun farms
- Pick your own orchards and farms around Richmond
Carter Mountain Orchard and County Store
1435 Carters Mountain Trail
Charlottesville, VA (434) 977-1833
Fruit Hill Orchard