Looking for ways to fill your family’s morning? Try this easy, family-friendly outing is the North Courthouse Library.
The North Courthouse library is the newest CCPL branch. The physical space is detail oriented with modern seating, a large, open space in the children’s section, and an outdoor area with rocking chairs.
A typical visit to the North Courthouse Library starts with both of my children picking out several books of their own.
In warmer weather we sit outside on the rocking chairs, and read together before walking the neighborhood connector trail. This path is accessible from the parking lot. During the fall CCPL librarians transform this simple path into a magical fairy garden.
The path also connects to the fire station; often, fire fighters are running along the path. For my three year old son, just the chance of seeing a “real firefighter” is enough to make walking the trail a must-do.
Before leaving the library, snag a craft to go. These are perfect for filling rainy days. Rocks of Hope was a past craft offering. Painting the rock at home and returning to place it in the Rocks of Hope Garden in front of the library is a creative way to encourage community service and involvement.
Once your library tote is full, there are several nearby options to keep your crew entertained. Listed below are some affordable family favorites:
- Smallcakes Bakery (11516 Busy St., Richmond, VA, 23236): offers beautiful and mouth watering cupcakes. The variety is unbeatable. Popular picks for us are key lime and pink chocolate. Sometimes good library behavior deserves a yummy reward, and that means for parents too.
2. Rockwood Park (3401 Courthouse Rd., North Chesterfield, VA, 23236): has a sandbox, large playground, nature center and lots of walking trails. Rockwood Park is only five minutes from North Courthouse Library and offers a perfect picnic venue.
3. Romp N’ Roll (11541 Busy St., Richmond, VA, 23236): has classes for children up to five years old. This kid’s gym is helpful for getting those toddler wiggles out, especially during winter months. Classes are posted online, registration is required in advance. “Tumble Tunes” has been tested and approved by my own high energy kiddo.
The North Courthouse Library offers ways for families to connect, not only through books but through craft offerings and nearby activities. Local families are fortunate to have this free option to enrich their weekends.
Check out more ways to have fun with kids around Richmond and explore the outdoors.
Be sure to subscribe to email updates, follow @rvacheap on Twitter or like RVA (Richmond) on the Cheap on Facebook to stay in the know about the latest freebies & deals.
- The Ultimate List of RVA Parks and Playgrounds
- Ice skating and roller skating rinks in Richmond
- Richmond nearby ski resorts
- FREE and cheap date ideas in Richmond, Virginia
- Outdoor labyrinth walks in Richmond offer contemplation, movement
- Richmond area scenic drives
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails for all levels in the Richmond area