Petting zoos offer families a chance to interact with animals in a fun and safe way. Children and adults enjoy petting, feeding and even playing with the gentle animals at farms and zoos. Richmond boasts several different venues for spending time with farm animals. From birthday parties to a simple day at the park, the Richmond area provides several options to be around some adorable furry friends.
Five Richmond area farms offering families opportunities to see and learn about animals:
Check websites and/or call to verify information is correct.
1. Flat Creek Farm (13342 Lodore Rd, Amelia Court House, VA) allows patrons to spend thirty minutes or an hour with bunnies, goats, an alpaca, chickens, a mini horse, and 27 year old horse, Sailor. The family owned farm asks families or small groups to book an appointment on Facebook and pay through Venmo.
2. Red Barn Farm (25115 Smith Grove Rd, Dinwiddie, VA) is owned and run by an educator who curates a learning experience for children about farm life. During the 90 minute tour, visitors will interact with a tortoise, donkey, mini horses, goats and more. If you want to feed the animals, feed buckets are offered at an additional cost. Parties, field trips and camps are also available. Call 804-536-6879 to schedule visits. April through December Wednesday – Sunday from 9am – 5pm.
3. Maymont Farm (1001 Spottswood Rd, Richmond, VA): is home to pigs, goats, chickens, cows, a donkey, ducks, and horses. Feed machines are by the entry to purchase food for the goats and sheep. A suggested $5 donation for entry makes Maymont an affordable venue for feeding your favorite animals. Open daily 10 am – 5 pm.
4. Meadow Farm Museum at Crump Park (3400 Mountain Rd, Glen Allen, VA) is a historic site home to rams, chickens, goats, pigs, and horses. While visitors are asked not to feed the animals, demonstrations in the farmhouse and barn take place throughout the year. There is no admission fee. Daily 12 pm – 4 pm.
5. Laughing Place Farm (11800 Reedy Branch Rd, Chesterfield, VA): brings the animals to you by offering mobile parties and zoos. Options include barnyard parties, unicorn pony parties, barrel train rides, petting zoo and pony parties. Party hosts will choose between a one or two hour party. Book appointments on the Laughing Place Farm website.
Richmond area locals, both north and south of the River, are fortunate to have access to an array of offerings to be around animals.
About Richmond on the Cheap contributor Lindsay Garrison:
Lindsay Garrison is a Richmond, Virginia based Mom to two young children. A graduate from Chesterfield Schools and Randolph-Macon College, Lindsay is proud to call Richmond home. In the years prior to planning activities and outings with her own children, she was a French teacher. During her tenure she earned accolades for her creative teaching style and ability to connect with her students. Lindsay now applies the skills she learned when she was planning student trips to France, to her own family adventures. She can’t wait to take her own children to France one day! Follow the Garrison’s family adventures on Instagram: @happyrvakids.
Check out more family friendly things to do in Richmond while saving money and having fun.
- The Ultimate List of RVA Parks and Playgrounds
- Ice skating and roller skating rinks in Richmond
- Richmond nearby ski resorts
- FREE and cheap date ideas in Richmond, Virginia
- Outdoor labyrinth walks in Richmond offer contemplation, movement
- FREE admission to Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden Jan. 13-17, 2021
- Richmond area scenic drives
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails for all levels in the Richmond area
Amelia Court House, VA 23002
Richmond, VA 23220
Glen Allen, VA 23060
Amelia Court House, VA 23002