Apple cider, pumpkins, orange and red leaves abound…Fall in Richmond is on the way! And, to accompany the signs of autumn, there are several local fall activities. After visiting the same pumpkin patches over the last few years, our family is excited to try a few new venues this year. From farms to plantations, RVA on the Cheap aimed to find unique fall happenings.
1. Berkeley Plantation: A scenic drive to gorgeous Berkeley Plantation in Charles City allows families to take in the colors of fall. There will be a corn maze and pumpkin patch. Families will love exploring the autumnal gardens, river shore and exhibits. Admission is $12 for adults, $7 for children.
2. Henrico County Parks & Recreation: A variety of activities are offered for free through Henrico Parks. Children, ages 8+ will love the “Get Your Pumpkin On” program on Oct. 24. Other fall programs include: Wreath Making, a class for ages 18+ to learn how to make a seasonal wreath and “Fall into Fun”, an evening for teens.
3. Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden: From live music to building a fairy house Lewis Ginter’s Harvestfest & Oktoberfest will celebrate all fall has to offer! Oct. 23 and 24, the two day event will include food, adult beverages, a pumpkin carving demonstration, pedal pounding a “scary” storytime and more. Activities are included with garden admission.
4. Tuckahoe Plantation: Halloween at Tuckahoe offers a scavenger hunt, pumpkin painting, games, hayride, bonfire and spider web. Admission is $10; $40 family max.
5. Rassawek Autumn Festival: The inaugural event will take place Oct. 23 and 24 at the vineyard. Kids will love the hay maze and pumpkin patch, while adults can purchase beer, wine or cider. Tickets are $15 for adults and $5 for kids.
6. Richland’s Dairy Farm: Every weekend in October, families can enjoy a corn maze, hay ride, petting zoo and more. In addition to these fall activities, children and their grownups will learn about daily life on the dairy farm.
As the leaves change colors and the weather cools, be sure to mark your calendar for these extraordinary autumnal events!
— By Lindsay Garrison
Richmond on the Cheap contributor Lindsay Garrison is a Richmond, Virginia based mom to two young children. A graduate from Chesterfield Schools and Randolph-Macon College, Lindsay is proud to call Richmond home. In the years prior to planning activities and outings with her own children, she was a French teacher. During her tenure she earned accolades for her creative teaching style and ability to connect with her students. Lindsay now applies the skills she learned when she was planning student trips to France, to her own family adventures. She can’t wait to take her own children to France one day! Follow the Garrison’s family adventures on Instagram: @thegarrisonsrva
Richmond’s Farmers Markets
Richmond area scenic drives
October Festivals, Halloween Fun & More
Fun events in October around Richmond – concerts and more!
The Ultimate List of Richmond-area Halloween Events and Activities
Richmond area Pumpkin Patches, Corn Mazes, and Fall Fun Farms
Apple picking fun, plus apple donuts, apple pie, apple cider, and wine