There’s a wide variety of Richmond-area summer camps operating under health guidelines to maintain a fun program for children this summer. Many are continuing social distancing and holding most activities outdoors. Games, gardening, sports, arts, cooking, river sports, writing, science activities and swimming are some of the programming being offered at area camps in an effort to keep children engaged, busy and safe. Check out the 2021 summer camp options around Richmond from the growing listing below. And send more camp information to include to: email@example.com
These Richmond-area summer camps are open for registration for Summer 2021.
Check websites for availability and prices.
•Henrico Recreation & Parks Is partnering with several community organizations to offer Henrico Police Athletic League (PAL) and Camp Henrico, First Tee Golf Camp and Creative Arts Theater Camp and Studio (Arts) Camp. More information: https://henrico.us/rec/summer-camps/
•Chesterfield Parks & Recreation is offering a variety of camps including Kids on the Move Camp, History Camps, James River Camp, Outdoor Adventure Camp, Henricus Summer Camps, Sail Camps. More information: https://www.chesterfield.gov/940/Program-Guide
•Goochland Parks & Recreation – Campers can choose from Art, Tennis, Football, Preschool, Basketball, and other favorites! New this year, Goochland County Sheriff’s office will be hosting a Junior Deputy Academy Camp at no cost. Register early as space is limited. Unless otherwise noted, all camps will take place at the Central High Complex (2748 Dogtown Road). More information: https://www.goochlandva.us/236/Parks-Recreation
•Hanover Parks & Recreation. More information at https://www.hanovercounty.gov/149/Parks-Recreation
•Visual Arts Center of Richmond: https://www.visarts.org/classes-camps/adult-classes/
•YMCA of Greater Richmond – includes Camp Thunderbird, Chester Camps, Manchester Camps, Midlothian Camps, Northside Camps, Patrick Henry Camps, Petersburg Camps, Shady Grove Camps and Tuckahoe Camps. More information at https://www.ymcarichmond.org/child-care-camps/summer-camps/
•Weinstein Jewish Community Center (JCC) offers Camp Ganim onsite, Camp Hilbert in Goochland, Specialty Camps, Kids’ Place Camps, Teen Opportunities, instructional swim and Voices Together for children on the autism spectrum.
•SPARC – performing arts camps for pre-K through 12th grade
More 2021 summer camp options around Richmond.
Send more camp information to include to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All Fired Up Midlothian & Short pump (1/2 days) Clay, Ceramics, Glass fusing, Drawing, Wheelthrowing, Tie-dye, Painting
- American Colleges of Jiu Jitsu and Karate
- AR Workshop Mechanicsville, 7362 Bell Creek Road Mechanicsville, VA 23111 This DIY home decor craft studio is offering tie dye camps
- Art Factory Play Café (4810 Market Square Lane, Midlothian, VA 23112)
- Camp Hanover (3163 Parsleys Mill Rd, Mechanicsville, VA 23111)
- Camp Thunderbird – YMCA of Richmond keeps campers primarily outside. Other YMCA summer camp locations in Chester, Manchester, Midlothian, Swift Creek, Downtown and Northside
- Camp Innovate at La Petite in Glen Allen has camps with flexible schedules with fun activities and projects.
- CampVentures inspires imagination through hands-on activities, field trips and themed events, while balancing individual needs and interests. For tennis lessons? 🎾 Kiddie Academy of West Creek will be offering tennis lessons during CampVentures Summer Program.
- Club Sci Kids – various STEM-themed camps http://richmond.clubscikidz.com/
- Comfort Zone Camp (6606 W Broad St #401, Richmond, VA 23230) “Comfort Zone Camp is a nonprofit 501(c)3 bereavement organization that transforms the lives of children who have experienced the death of a parent, sibling, or primary caregiver. Our programs are free of charge and include confidence building activities and age-based support groups that break the emotional isolation grief often brings. The camp’s missions is to empower children experiencing grief to fully realize their capacity to heal, grow, and lead more fulfilling lives.”
- Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen–Creative Arts Theatre Camp & Creative Arts Studio Camp
- DiazFlute Summer Camps, at All Saints Episcopal Church, 8787 River Rd, Richmond, VA 23229. Activities: Private and group flute lessons, music games, and recital performances. Cost: $190.00 Dates: Session 1 July 12–30, Session 2 August 9–27 Summer flute camps for all different ages and levels! All camps include 1 group lesson and 1 private lesson each week. The Beginner Flute Camp is for ages 5-10 and for students with little or no music experience. All beginner campers will play on beginner instruments and learn the fundamentals of playing the flute and music. The Movie Music Flute Camp is for intermediate players, ages 11–14 with one year of experience. Movie music campers will learn their favorite movie tune and work on a duet. All campers will perform at the end of camp recital. The New Music Flute Camp is for advanced players ages 15–18. New Music campers will play music by living composers and work on advanced techniques on the flute. All campers will perform at the end of camp recital www.diazflute.com/summercamps
- Edible Education (13566 Waterford Pl, Midlothian, VA 23112)
- Ginter Botanical Garden (1800 Lakeside Ave Richmond, VA 23228) Green Adventure Summer Camp is completely outside focusing on nature – plants, animals and more.
- Grace Arts Dance Studio
- Mad Science (11551 Nuckols Rd. Suite J, Glen Allen, VA 23059) half and full day options
- Midlothian Montessori We Outie outdoor program
- Passages Adventure Camps – rock, river, mountain biking
- Play’n Away camps with Hanover County Parks and Recreation
- Podium writing programs for high school students
- Richmond Ballet summer camp
- Richmond Young Writers (in person and online programs)
- Riverside Outfitters for outdoorsy, rugged kids
- Romp and Roll is 3 hours every Tuesday and Thursday morning
- Soccer Shots. summer camps and classes. Various locations
- STEMTREE (10921 W Broad St., Glen Allen, VA) located at the intersection of Cox Road and Broad St behind CVS Pharmacy
- STEM Midlothian
- Swim RVA (Chesterfield)
- Tuckaway child care summer camp is now enrolling (7 different locations)
- Victoria’s Kitchen Cooking Camp (249 Stonebridge Plaza Ave., Richmond, Virginia 23225)
- Virginia Outside – adventure fishing, fishing camp, fly fishing, kayaking, mountain biking
- XL Sports (2300 Oak Lake Blvd Midlothian, VA 23112)
Summer enrichment classes for kids in the Richmond area:
- Outschool has online classes for three year olds on Outschool. Anything from art, music, movement, to preschool stuff.
- Kids can register for a variety of Richmond Symphony School of Music courses happening in July, including composition, jazz music history, chamber music, and more. Register Now: richmondsymphonysom.com/classes/
- RVA Paddlesports Youth Kayaking program offers focused coaching sessions up to 3 times a week in the summer. The river is full of life lessons for those willing to listen. Both beginner and intermediate open enrollment.
There may be more summer camps for your children this year. The Completely Kids Richmond website.shows a number of other options. But don’t wait too long. Many local RVA camp registrations fill up fast.
Related post: Virtual Classes for Teens and Tweens
More things to do in and around Richmond:
- Richmond’s Museums Highlight History, Art, Science and More
- The Ultimate List of RVA Parks and Playgrounds
- Bicycling routes around Richmond
- Richmond’s Public Pools & Splash Pads
- RVA Dog-Friendly Parks
- 12+ Free Things to do in Colonial Williamsburg
- RVA Historic Sites
- 50+ Things to Do in Richmond
- Orchards and Berry Farms
- Things to Do: RVA
- 50+ Events & Festivals
- Special Resources
- Military Discounts
- FREE for Kids (or really cheap)
- Garage, Moving, Estate Sales and more
- Metro Richmond Zoo
- Richmond boat launches and marinas