Due to health concerns, most summer camps have been cancelled this year. But there are a number of Richmond-area organizations that are still going forward with summer camps, keeping social distance and holding most activities outdoors. Games, gardening, sports, arts, cooking, river sports, writing, science activities and swimming are some of the programming being offered at area camps in an effort to keep children engaged, busy and safe.
These Richmond-area summer camps are open for registration. Check websites for availability and prices.
- ACAC Short Pump has camps starting July 13 – story time, crafts, movement class, swim time, to puzzles & games. (2201 Old Brick Rd., Glen Allen, Virginia 23060)
- All Fired Up Midlothian & Short pump (1/2 days) Clay, Ceramics, Glass fusing, Drawing, Wheelthrowing, Tie-dye, Painting
- Art Factory Play Café (4810 Market Square Lane, Midlothian, VA 23112)
- Branch Museum Architecture Camp (2501 Monument Ave., Richmond, VA 23220)
- Camp Hanover (3163 Parsleys Mill Rd, Mechanicsville, VA 23111)
- Camp Thunderbird – YMCA of Richmond keeps campers primarily outside. Other YMCA summer camp locations in Chester, Manchester, Midlothian, Swift Creek, Downtown and Northside
- Camp Innovate at La Petite in Glen Allen has camps with flexible schedules with fun activities and projects.
- Comfort Zone Camp (6606 W Broad St #401, Richmond, VA 23230) “Comfort Zone Camp is a nonprofit 501(c)3 bereavement organization that transforms the lives of children who have experienced the death of a parent, sibling, or primary caregiver. Our programs are free of charge and include confidence building activities and age-based support groups that break the emotional isolation grief often brings. Our missions is to empower children experiencing grief to fully realize their capacity to heal, grow, and lead more fulfilling lives.”
- Edible Education (13566 Waterford Pl, Midlothian, VA 23112)
- Fast Feet Sports Academy in Powhatan
- Hulafrog just updated this list of in person summer camps!
Kiddie Academy of West Creek
- Mad Science (11551 Nuckols Rd. Suite J, Glen Allen, VA 23059) half and full day options
- Midlothian Montessori We Outie outdoor program
- Millwood School, Midlothian, VA
- Passages Adventure Camps – rock, river, mountain biking
- Play’n Away camps with Hanover County Parks and Recreation are small group, shorter session camps offering an active time for your children, with games, crafts and social team skills activities. Registration is now open for August 3rd sessions.
- Richmond Young Writers (in person and online programs)
- Riverside Outfitters for outdoorsy, rugged kids
- STEMTREE (10921 W Broad St., Glen Allen, VA) located at the intersection of Cox Road and Broad St behind CVS Pharmacy
- STEM Midlothian
- Swim RVA (Chesterfield)
- Tuckaway child care summer camp is now enrolling (7 different locations)
- Victoria’s Kitchen Cooking Camp (249 Stonebridge Plaza Ave., Richmond, Virginia 23225)
- Virginia Outside – adventure fishing, fishing camp, fly fishing, kayaking, mountain biking
- XL Sports (2300 Oak Lake Blvd Midlothian, VA 23112)
Summer enrichment classes for kids in the Richmond area:
- American Colleges of Jiu Jitsu and Karate
- Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen
- CampVentures inspires imagination through hands-on activities, field trips and themed events, while balancing individual needs and interests. For tennis lessons? 🎾 Kiddie Academy of West Creek will be offering tennis lessons during CampVentures Summer Program.
- Club Sci Kids – doing virtual coding classes 10a-3pm, http://richmond.clubscikidz.com/
- Crossroads Irish Dance
- Outschool has online classes for three year olds on Outschool. Anything from art, music, movement, to preschool stuff.
- Podium writing programs for high school students
- Richmond Community Rowing – summer junior sculling
- Romp and Roll is 3 hours every Tuesday and Thursday morning
- Soccer Shots. summer camps and classes. Various locations
There may be more summer camp for your children this year. The Completely Kids Richmond website.shows a number of other options. But don’t wait too long. Many local RVA camp registrations fill up fast.
Related post: Virtual Classes for Teens and Tweens
More things to do in and around Richmond:
- Richmond’s Museums Highlight History, Art, Science and More
- The Ultimate List of RVA Parks and Playgrounds
- Bicycling routes around Richmond
- Richmond MetroZoo open for drive thru tours
- Richmond’s Public Pools & Splash Pads
- RVA Dog-Friendly Parks
- 12+ Free Things to do in Colonial Williamsburg
- RVA Historic Sites
- RVA’s Nearby Ski Resorts
- 50+ Things to Do in Richmond
- Orchards and Berry Farms
- Things to Do: RVA
- 50+ Events & Festivals
- Special Resources
- Military Discounts
- FREE for Kids (or really cheap)
- Garage, Moving, Estate Sales and more
- Metro Richmond Zoo
- Richmond boat launches and marinas