There’s nothing quite like picking your own fruit off the vine. Being able to choose it, see where it’s grown and choose your own is a novel experience that all ages enjoy. There are several berry picking options to check out this spring; several around Richmond and others a bit farther down the road. Strawberry season is passed, it is now blueberries, raspberries and black raspberry season.
See the big picture:Pick-Your-Own Orchards and Farms in the Richmond area
Berry Picking Options in RVA and Beyond
1. Blue Eden Farm (2172 Piping Tree Ferry Rd., Mechanicsville, VA, 23111) is known for its plentiful blueberry farm; however, this year the farm will also have strawberries for $4.00/pound. Blueberry season has not yet been announced; price is $4.50/pound. Should you choose to make a day of it, ice cream and light food is available for purchase at the farm as well. (Wednesday – Sunday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM) Field report: Blueberries are popping! open 7 days a week, 9AM to 3 PM. Saturdays until 5PM. The strawberry field is pretty much done but they are loaded down with blueberries
2. Braehead Farm: (1130 Tyler St., Fredericksburg, VA, 22401) is a popular farm for picking berries and vegetables of all kinds. In addition to berry picking, there is a play area including a sand pit, play tractors and farm animals. Admission is $5.00 for the play area; ages 2 and under are free. Aside from playing and berry picking, the farm also offers a market and the Braehead Farm Lunch Kitchen so you can grab lunch at the farm. Price of pick your own produce varies; check the website for details. (Daily: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM) Field report: Blueberries, raspberries and Black raspberries are in season. Lots of leafy greens are available… kale, collards, mustard greens, lettuces, Asian mix, mesclun mix, Swiss chard. Asparagus Come pick, play, visit the animals, shop, stay for lunch and ice cream + SUNFLOWERS!
3. Chesterfield Berry Farm: (26002 Pear Orchard Rd., Moseley, VA, 23120). Check Facebook for updates for 2022.
4. Critzer Family Farm: (9388 Critzer Shop Rd., Afton, VA, 22920) has a variety of berries and cherries for picking. A highlight of this family farm is the home-churned ice cream made with farm grown fruit! Make it a fun road trip by stopping at Blue Mountain Brewery just across the street from the farm. (Monday – Saturday 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM, Sunday: 12:00 PM – 6:00 PM) Check social media for updates.
5. Skinquarter Farm Market: (20800 Hull Street Rd. Moseley, VA, 23120) During the season expect be sure to check out the local produce in the market and Jimer’s Frozen Custard on the way out. There are also picnic tables and a sand pit for kids to enjoy. Hours vary, check Facebook for updates.
6. The Strawberry Patch at Quail Hill Orchard (10543 Gould Hill Rd Hanover, VA 23069) is closed for the season.
In Richmond, we are lucky to have several farms from which to choose for berry picking fun! Whether you decide to stay close to RVA or drive an hour or two, there is much fun to be had on these farms.
— By Lindsay Garrison
Richmond on the Cheap contributor Lindsay Garrison is a Richmond, Virginia based mom to two young children. A graduate from Chesterfield Schools and Randolph-Macon College, Lindsay is proud to call Richmond home. In the years prior to planning activities and outings with her own children, she was a French teacher. During her tenure she earned accolades for her creative teaching style and ability to connect with her students. Lindsay now applies the skills she learned when she was planning student trips to France, to her own family adventures. She can’t wait to take her own children to France one day! Follow the Garrison’s family adventures on Instagram: @thegarrisonsrva
- The Ultimate List of RVA Parks and Playgrounds
- Richmond Area Farms Offer Families Opportunities to See, Learn about Animals
- Pick-Your-Own Orchards and Farms in the Richmond area
- Ice skating and roller skating rinks in Richmond
- Richmond’s Farmers Markets
- FREE and cheap date ideas in Richmond, Virginia
- Outdoor labyrinth walks in Richmond offer contemplation, movement
- Richmond area scenic drives
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails for all levels in the Richmond area