The month of July welcomes in the heat, humidity, and the start of summer harvests. There are only a few one-time gardening related events this month, but there are many recurring events and volunteer opportunities available.
🌺 Love flowers? See where to find sunflower fields around Richmond for a pick-your-own bouquet or do-it-yourself photo shoot as well as the Beauty, History, Discovery from the Richmond Garden Trail.
- Garden Clean up at Virginia Randolph Education Center. Virginia Randolph Education Center. Thursday July 29, 8:30a-11:30a. Sign up in advance. Volunteer opportunity.
- The Upcycled Lab: Houseplant Treehouse. Henrico County Public Library, Varina Area Library. Tuesday, July 20, 6-8p. For teens and tweens, registration required.
- Wednesdays Alfresco. Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. Wednesdays, 4p-9p. Online advanced tickets required, $5-$14.
- James River Park Clean Up. James River Park System. Wednesdays and Saturdays, 10a-12p. Sign up in advance. Volunteer opportunity.
- Maymont Gardening Project – Mulching, Planting, and Spring Renovation. Maymont. Wednesdays, 1p-4p. Sign up in advance. Volunteer opportunity.
- Invasive Species Removal and Planting. Belle Isle. Thursdays, 9a-12p. Sign up in advance. Volunteer opportunity.
- Flowers After 5. Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. Thursdays, 4p-9p. Tickets required, $8-14; free for members.
- The Secret Lives of Bugs. Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. Thursdays-Sundays, 10a-2p. Free with admission.
- Storytime in the Garden. Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. Fridays and Saturdays, starting July 9, 10a-10:30a. Free with admission.
- Invasive Species Removal. The Wetlands. Saturdays, 10a-1p. Sign up in advance. Volunteer opportunity.
- REAL House Gardens. Greater Richmond area. Ongoing. Sign up in advance. Volunteer opportunity.
- River Beekeeper. Sails Angels Richmond. Ongoing. Volunteer opportunity.
— By Denise Levitskiy – Richmond on the Cheap contributor Denise Levitskiy is a Richmond, Virginia based thrifty mama and gardening enthusiast. She is a Virginia Commonwealth University graduate, had a writing stint as a Marine Corps civilian, and then switched professions to attend Bon Secours Memorial College of Nursing. She recently paused her nursing career to be home with her boys and focus on her family’s homesteading dreams. You can follow her gardening and home improvement adventures on her Instagram account: @thisoldhouseishome.
- Richmond’s Museums Highlight History, Art, Science and More
- Farmers Markets Around Richmond
- Pick-Your-Own Orchards and Farms Around Richmond
- Richmond Area Farms Offer Families Opportunities to See, Learn about Animals
- Richmond area scenic drives around Richmond
- Nature walks and scenic hiking trails for all levels in the Richmond area
- The Ultimate List of RVA Parks and Playgrounds
- RVA Dog-Friendly Parks
- 12+ Free Things to do in Colonial Williamsburg